Monday, November 2, 2009

Trojan Horse is empty

Lost in all the babble about how Oregon destroyed USC on Halloween, the Wiccan New Year, is the fact that this is a reversal of fortune.

For decades, SC treated Oregon like the JV team that they were. It was usually a 50-point rout no matter where the game was played. Also, the Oregon players would get so beat up by the Trojans the team was useless for the rest of the season.

Word out of L.A. is that all the linebackers and a defensive end got injured in the agony at Autzen. Some of them may play this weekend, but the point is made: Oregon did to USC what the Trojans have been doing to the Ducks for decades.

I know. I was at those games in the early 1970s at the Coliseum. My brothers, friends and I would hang with the SC students at the gates and get in for $1. We would sit at the 50-yard-line in the “card” section and root for the dominant Trojans as they kicked the tails of all opponents.

But that was then. I long ago gave up any allegiance to USC. The arrogance, sense of entitlement and condescension of SC students and fans turned me off long ago. In fact, I always root against the traditional powers, from Notre Dame to Miami, from Michigan to Ohio State and from Miami to Florida. The hell with them all. I always root for any team playing them. And usually they schedule some lower tier patsy to pad their won-loss records.

So when Oregon administered an SC-type butt-kicking on the Trojans, I could only nod and smile. What goes around, comes around. And decades later, it finally came around. Hail Oregon, Troy returns to antiquity.

No comments:

Post a Comment