Tuesday, May 1, 2012

How fast do you surf?

Caught this story today about the fastest internet speeds, by country, in the world.

Naturally, the U.S., where the internet was invented, doesn't crack the top 10 in download speeds.

We're No. 13 at 5.8 Mbps. South Korea is the fastest by far at 17.5 Mbps. Japan is a distant second at 9.1 Mbps.

Some of the findings from Akamai include:


  • - Cities in the Asia Pacific region continued to dominate the list of the 100 fastest cities worldwide. 69 cities including 61 in Japan, six in South Korea, one in Australia, as well as Hong Kong made the top 100.
  • - 24 cities in North America ranked among the top 100, including two in Canada and 22 in the United States.
  • - Seven cities in Europe, including three in Sweden, two in Switzerland and one each in Romania and Latvia were included in the top 100.

I checked my BendBroadband speed at around 4 p.m. May 1 through speedtest.net. I'll test later in the evening  when more of my neighbors may be on.

My download speed measured 13.19 Mbps and BendBroadband only guarantees 12 Mbps. I tested again at 10 p.m. on my laptop which is wired via ethernet through a power line adapter. And yet I still showed 12.50 Mbps.

Also, my upload speed measured 1.81 Mbps, while only 1.5 Mbps was guaranteed by BendBroadband. At 10 p.m., my upload speed improved on the laptop to 1.84 Mbps.

So, it looks like we're getting much faster service here in Bend than in much of the country and even in Japan.

And that is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment